Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
Minutes Old Webster
Special Business District
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Members Present: Ron Clipp, Kerry (Thornton)
Higginbotham, Phil Lindwedel, Bill Newhouse, Mara Perry, Jackie Postiglione, Joe Rath, Kathy Reimelt, and Stacie Swederska.
Others Present: Mayor Gerry Welch; Shawnell Faber, Parks and Recreation Dept., and Ellen Light, Secretary.
Presiding: Don Baumstark
Meeting began at 8:01 a.m.
Stacie Swederska, owner of Paisley Boutique,
as newest Board member.
Approval of Minutes
• Joe moved to approve minutes; Jackie seconded,
all were in favor, minutes for February 26, 2013, were approved.
• Kerry said Don “volunteered” to be next
• Kerry agreed to be vice chair.
• Jackie will continue as treasurer.
• Joe moved to accept slate as stated, Ron
seconded and all approved; we will continue as such for the next year—it is one
Budget – Jackie
• Nothing new for treasurer.
• Mara said only new invoice that came in was OWTA
• Mara requested details on who to cut check to
for Webster Grooves sponsorship.
• Jackie asked if any revenues were in?
• Mara said we are still very short on amounts
that have come in, only about $5K out of projected $28K has arrived.
Streetscape/Maintenance - Shawnell – Parks &
Recreation Dept. Updates
• Because snow was so heavy, crews started on
Sunday; this overtime will impact budget.
major issues were that parking lot crews pushed snow back on sidewalks.
With a large
amount of snow, they can’t put on sidewalk or into street.
• Last week removed all the pots…so they can make
transition to summer .
• Typically they like to start putting things out
by first of May.
• Don asked about broken bench replacement?
Shawnell stated that responsible party is being charged for pot, tree, two
• Ron asked if it is too late in year to replace a
tree? Shawnell said you can plant certain ones in the spring.
• Shawnell noted they will be replacing three
trees in front of PNC Bank.
• She said they are using new hazard assessment to
decide in which order to replace.
City Report – Mara
Cinco de Mayo
• Cinco de Mayo Run has been scratched this year
because of problems with timing, especially for the churches.
There are two
events — La Cantina had proposed to close walkway on Sunday, and asked if it
can be closed Saturday and Sunday for delivery of tent, but decision had not
yet been made.
Mara had not
seen the plan for Milagro’s event yet; Joe said they will have to block the
ramp coming up to parking deck.
both restaurants have been given new forms, not yet returned.
• Fizzie’s has asked to get timing moved up so
they can open in time for Webster Grooves.
• Nothing new on Auto Beauty.
• There has been discussion in Plan Commission on
revamping Conditional Use Permit process, to shorten it for minor changes.
• City now posts for public hearings in the
newspapers; also maybe changing around how zoning is organized —will be holding
a public hearing at Plan Commission in April.
• Kerry asked about Jet’s Pizza which is moving
into the old Starbucks location; Mara said it is moving forward.
Sculpture Park Developments - Mayor Welch
• Have hired SWT to do construction drawing—should
mean grand opening of the Sculpture Park in the fall.
• Kerry asked about artists commissions: two
Trovas, Catherine Magel doing bird and flower, and a piece by Evan Lewis, as
well as a pad for High School student artwork and one for University students.
Webster Groves Creative Community - Mayor Welch
• Want to create a community award banner: Webster
Groves Creative Community; may also be used on some street signs.
• Has met with Opera Theater, Community Music
• PR Committee (subcommittee of Business
Development Commission), has been doing a lot of work looking at more
overarching pieces for public relations.
• Redoing Explore Web site, as well as Restaurant
• Don had call from KTRS asking about our
• Don thought and Joe reiterated that fall would
be better time to think about doing these ads.
• Mara said if we do it in fall, it is out of next
year’s budget; if we decided to do it, would we consider tying in with Old
• Mayor said instead of putting a little money
into various ad options, it might be useful to try to find out what actually
• Mayor suggested getting some representatives to
sit down with a media buyer who knows in general how things work.
• Mara asked for volunteers to represent our
Bill volunteered, Don is willing to try to do it, if he can.
Stacie mentioned OWTA calendar discussion.
meeting should be somewhere in the next month.
Request from Arts Foundation
• The request is to sponsor award for Paint
• Don mentioned we provided $200 last year.
• Ron made motion to approve that amount again;
Jackie seconded the motion.
• All were in favor, motion passed—we will fund
the $200 for award.
Special Activities Permit
• “Special Activities Permit” for all events
(except neighborhood block party) — form is now downloadable…review starts with
Public Works, then Police Dept., then Planning sees it.
• Mara will not sign off until she talks with
• Copies will go to Parks Dept. if they need
trash cans, etc.
• Hoping they will make planning events in
district much easier.
• Kathy asked how far in advance it is needed?
Mara said it is asked for six weeks in advance.
• In the past city oversells available permits by
• Now there is a big issue with yellow
permits—parking was overcrowded but there is option for city to give some extra
spaces over; Public Works has a work order, and will be putting new signs up
for those permit spaces.
• We have not yet hit the maximum number…if City
Manager deems it necessary there are another seven spaces.
• Novus wants 22 yellow permits; now Mara said
they have seven more in lower level which can be made available for purchase—or
they can ask council to amend the ordinance to provide the permits.
• Stacie said Reliable Life Building will start
permitting use of that lot for people who work there.
• Bill said Pacific could be the answer, may need
to look there .
• Mara asked if we are comfortable with the
request to ask the City Manager to make available the additional seven yellow
• Joe said he didn’t think so—we should have those
spaces open for customers.
• New places will be opening…need adequate
• Mayor suggested Straub’s (and perhaps Bank of
America) might want to rent them a few spaces?
• Mara will talk with Straub’s and Bank of
Meeting adjourned at 9:05 a.m.
Next Meeting: Tuesday, April 23,