Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
Minutes Old Webster
Special Business District
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Members Present: Ron Clipp, Phil Lindwedel, Mara Perry,
Jackie Postiglione, Joe Rath, Kathy Reimelt,
and Kerry Thornton.
Others Present: Mayor Gerry Welch; Joan Jadali, Director
of Finance & Administration, Stacie Swederska of Paisley Boutique and Ellen
Presiding: Don Baumstark
Meeting began at 8:02 a.m.
Approval of Minutes
• Joe moved to approve both sets of minutes;
Jackie seconded, minutes for Jan 22 and Feb 7, 2013, were approved.
Business License/Tax Questions for Joan Jadali
• Mara suggested we ask business license
questions, particularly in regard to amending tax rates.
• Don noted that we understand it would be the
property owners’ concern.
• Joan would need to look it up—as far as timing,
she will report back to us at next meeting.
• Don asked about Provision Living across street,
where the $785, and business license taxes would apply only to the little café.
It went through the zoning that it did in order that the restaurant could be
accessed by general public.
• Mara compared the two printouts—(Jackie’s and
• Mara’s is updated with projected balance and
revenue, updated as of today, showing percent of the budget spent so far.
• Kept Professional Services the same.
• Disposal services, she is trying to get new bids
for new service; they are doing single stream recycling, but she is concerned
that we don’t go over budget.
• Our recycling is twice a week; consensus is it
does get used and is needed.
• Parking lot rental, was renegotiated; we spent
$12,500, but budget went down.
• Spent less on streetlights, brought number down
closer to what was spent last year.
• For streetlight replacement $6,438 actual
• Last year revenue was almost $69K; this year
number doesn’t necessarily show that it would be that high. It’s too early to
tell exactly with business licenses this year.
• Mara hoped to rectify 721, 730 and 751
• She proposed we transfer funds directly to
Parks, and let them do the budget breakdown, instead of having them charge our
• Mara noted she is working on finding more exact
breakdowns regarding proposal that Shawnell gave us last year.
• Kathy thought it might be good to work backwards
• Don said we should do each item down the list.
• Jackie noted all we have left to work with is
Advertising and Parks Dept.
Financial Report - Jackie
• Don asked if we want to start with our 50/50
project on the lights to make sure that can get done?
• Last year we were right at budget on everything;
we’d gone from budgeting around $60K, and spending $50K, to budgeting $75-80K
and actually hitting those numbers.
• We basically doubled the cost on using Parks—as
a result district never looked better, but we need to adjust.
• Jackie preferred being more conservative.
• We still have street trees, $300-$500 to replace
trees; spoke about “adopt-a-tree,” etc.
to approach churches, businesses, individuals.
• Then we would need to work with Shawnell to get
a rough idea what it would cost per year, so we can ask for that kind of
donation; we could make it community-wide, not just business-district wide.
• Ron asked about 751; holiday decorations haven’t
all been billed yet, but we know Shawnell has spent all budgeted and gone over.
• Jackie stated we need to give her a number so
she can work with that.
• Mayor mentioned there ought to be a conversation
directly with Shawnell.
• Mara noted that she has been working with Shawnell
on details. Suggests we don’t radically go down, but if we can start working on
other programs, that would help for following year.
• Mara had us at $26,600, which puts us at $59,740
without Advertising, leaves less than $10K.
• Don restated that it is good news for our budget
is that in three years the streetlights will be paid off.
• Kathy asked about cost for holiday Open House?
• Phil said all of the $5K which was designated
was spent on Open House.
• Mayor asked about breakdown of what Trade will
need as far as budget?
• Phil conveyed they want to continue $3,300 for
street dance; and Admin $150 per month for eleven months.
• What about Webster Grooves? We put off
answering about our help because we needed to work on our numbers.
• Jazz Fest was $6K; $5K for Open House, Xmas Ad
Package $4K; $3,300 Street Dance, Web site $650; Holiday promotions, $1K.
• Phil said $9,950, or basically $10K needed for
• Jazz Fest needed to have $5-6K set aside.
• Mara asked in the end, will Joe actually spend
• Mara thought better to put in $1K in our budget.
• Mayor said Jazz Fest is Taxing District-City
• Mara asked if we want to keep the same amount in
Advertising for Webster-Kirkwood Times?
• Ron suggested we might ask more from the
• Kerry thought there may be another place than to
ask businesses for more cash input.
• Ron noted we would like to keep Parks budget the
same, so our only choice is Advertising.
• Kerry questioned benefit of Street Dance? It
doesn’t bring business, most places are closed.
• Ron said that although Jazz Fest kills his
business that day, he knows it is great for district.
• Jackie said maybe we should focus more on local
• Mara thought we should put $4K in for Holiday Ad
package; then there was additional $1,600 for Webster-Kirkwood Times ads, which
she suggested keeping in for now.
• Mara suggested we could put Web site down to
• Holiday promotions at $1500; then there is still
• Joe had a problem with Trade Association Admin
under Advertising; suggestion was made to move that $1,650 for Admin into
Professional Services: leaving $16,900 in Advertising.
• Shaved about $3K off budget with some changes.
• We have proposed budget of $81,390.
• We have now lowered Miscellaneous to $4K.
• Jackie said we tried to avoid making separate
line items for each sponsorship, but Mara needed breakdown for her paperwork –
Jackie suggests leaving it in Miscellaneous.
• Joe made motion to accept $81,390 for the 2013
• Phil asked if that’s the number we suggested;
Mara said we could bring Holiday Ad package down from $4K to $3K, that would
bring down to 80K.
• Kerry didn’t want to ask businesses to
contribute more to ad package; Ron felt it isn’t that much.
• Kerry didn’t think we should contribute so much
to Street Dance.
• Jackie thought just get Advertising down to
$19,000—then we can use it however we see fit as need arises.
• Jackie made motion we approve $80,390; Kerry
• Don asked if all approve and motion passed
• Don inquired about benches; Mara hadn’t heard
about replacement, will talk with police about that.
• Mara asked if there are any expenses, to please
get them over to her as soon as possible.
• Don noted Kerry was in charge of election
committee last time.
• She agreed to be the “nominating committee”
• Mayor praised Polly’s work as chairperson.
• Mara stated she will help with all aspects of
Webster Grooves — Request for Support
• Jackie thought we should give them support.
• Mara would like to wait until next meeting when
she has more information on what expenses have come in.
• Joe made motion to give them $500, Ron suggested
$1,000. Don brought out that timing is close, and we should give him a number
• Jackie made motion we’ll give $1K.
• Don put motion before board that we give $1,000
now with potential for more at next meeting. All were in favor, motion passed.
• Phil asked about insurance? Mara said new special
event permit will help to figure that out.
Report - Mara
• Mara discussed Cinco de Mayo; requests for run
• Nothing new on Auto Beauty.
• There are applicants for new tenant for Dr
Jazz—three different types of restaurants, will probably be back at April Plan
Meeting adjourned at 9:25 a.m.
Next Meeting: Tuesday, March 26,