View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Crossroads Special Taxing District

 

MINUTES

 

 

 

Meeting Date:                            

Tuesday,  February, 19,  2013

Meeting Called to Order:

8:35 A.M.

Meeting Adjourned:

                                 9:50 A.M.

Next Meeting Date:

                Wednesday,  March 27,  2013

 

 

 

 

 

ROLL CALL

 

Name

 

 

Heidi Butts-Wiegand

Present

 

Alan Nehring

Present

 

Kay Ramsey

 

Absent

Julie Campbell

 

                    Absent

Jeff Sanders

Present

 

John Lark

 

Absent

Bob Springer

Present

 

 

 

 

Toni Hunt-Council Liaison

Present

 

Mara Perry-Dir. Planning & Development

Present

 

Kathy Kinderfather-Residential Liaison

 

Absent

Ken Rimmel

 

Absent

Shawnell Faber

 

 

Absent

Richard Scholl

           Present

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Items Discussed: February 19, 2013

 

1.            Approval Of Minutes From January, 15 2013: We had a quorum, but not until about 8:55 a.m., when Heidi arrived.  A discussion had started about the sub-committee (Shawnell, John & Julie) who met recently to discuss ideas for beautifying the District. We never approved January’s minutes, so that will be done at the March 27, 2013 meeting. Sub-Committee Discussion: John presented to the sub-committee two schematic drawings (one prepared by him and another prepared by Bob Goetz) covering the area from the RR station to Big Bend & Elm. Trees were the focus of the discussion, and bringing in trees up and down the roadway was recommended as a simple, non-invasive way to add landscape beauty to the District. Bob S. said that the trees should be situated carefully on his corner to allay traffic safety fears. The sub-committee added that a bigger asphalt cutout at the SSM Bldg. as well as beautification at Schuncks is desirable. Mara said that there is money in the budget for what we’d like Shawnell to perform between now and June 2013. Mara also emphasized Shawnell should present written proposals on which we can sign off. FY 2014 Crossroads Budget: Mara passed out a report showing our budgets going back to 2010. She noted last year’s revenue of $24,321.49. She recommends that for 2014, we budget an amount closer to the aforementioned revenue figure, and that when larger projects are planned, pull money from the reserves. A discussion began about what budget items to alter. 702 (Office Supplies) remains at $150.00. 730 (Operational Equipment)  from $10,000 to $2,000, 751 (Area Maintenance Materials) from $10,000 to $2,000, 803 (Professional Services) remains at $1,500, 827 (Water & Sewer) to $0 from $250, 830 (Advertising) remains at $1,000, postage remains at $50, 850 (Parking Light Lighting) goes from $1,100 to $1,200, 909 (Area Improvements) from $5,000 to $1,000, 960 (Façade Beautification) from $5,000 to $2,000, 971 (Operating Transfer Out) from $12,240 to $12,500. In the above figures, $5,000 was transferred out to Park Salaries from Area Maintenance materials for materials for Parks Department. Mara noted that most spring expenses have yet to come out of Area Maintenance Materials. Also, $2,000 will come out of Façade Beautification for ARCHITEXTURES.  Mara tallied the figures, and the proposed budget for 2014 comes to $28,400. Alan offered a motion to approve the budget for $28,400, Heidi seconded, and the motion passed with no objections. All budget figures must be placed in Webster’s computer system by March 1, 2013. A discussion started about how Crossroads can connect as a community. District Visions and Goals: Alan cited the many neighbors we simply do not know, and the importance of engaging them (possibly with an informal block party). By getting to know as many people as possible we can convey our vision for the District.  Alan continued that our architecture is different from the other districts, and that could assist in establishing cohesiveness. We also need to think holistically and not in conventional terms. Bob said street & sidewalk work is one of the most appropriate uses of tax dollars; it’s the type of project which benefits everyone in the District. He’d also like to see planters in the street to calm traffic (although that would need St. Louis County approval). Toni Hunt added that she believes the RR Station can be incorporated into future beautification projects. Bob S. expressed disappointment over how little the RR Club has done to better its facility, especially after we spent $6,500 several years ago for painting and making it look better. The “ripple” from Big Bend and Elm must be allowed to move out along the corridor to Gore Ave. Mara said that Old Webster has installed LED lights. Bob S. believes our District can afford a lighting project similar to other districts without a matching grant from another entity. Mara said she’d be glad to help in any way for helping the community see what Crossroads is all about. Mara suggested we have a “Visions & Goals” session at our March meeting. She suggested we have ideas in hand before meeting with property owners. In the next two weeks Mara will send out “homework” to the Board about identifying visions, goals & key projects; this will also be discussed at March’s meeting. In summary the possibilities are endless as to what we can do in the District. Our next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 27, 2013 at 8:30 a.m. The usual third Tuesday is conflicting due to spring break which prevents us of having a quorum. Bob directed Richard to e-mail the Board with this info, and track members’ availability for the different date.  He said we need as many people as possible to attend. Bob also would like Shawnell to speak about tree and the rest of the spring planting season, near the beginning of March’s meeting. Mara will also have a basic City update. Alan offered a motion to adjourn, Bob Springer seconded, and the meeting was adjourned at 9:50 a.m.