View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Crossroads Special Taxing District

 

MINUTES

 

 

 

Meeting Date:                            

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Meeting Called to Order:

8:35 A.M.

Meeting Adjourned:

                                10:10 A.M.

Next Meeting Date:

                  Tuesday, September 21, 2010

 

 

 

 

 

ROLL CALL

 

Name

 

 

Lisa Abeln

 

Absent

Patricia Boever

Present

 

Kay Ramsey

Present

 

Pauli Goetz

Present

                         

Jeff Sanders

Present

 

John Lark

Present

 

Bob Springer

Present

 

 

 

 

Toni Hunt-Council Liaison

Present

 

Roger Grow, Dir., Planning/Development-Staff Liaison

Present

 

Kathy Kinderfather-Residential Liaison

Present

 

Bob Goetz

 

Present

 

Ken Rimmel

 

Present

 

Richard Scholl

Linda Broughton

Ralf Broughton

 

        ALL Present

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ITEMS DISCUSSED

August 17, 2010

 

1.   Approval of minutes from July 13, 2010 meeting: Chairman Springer offered a motion for approval. Kay gave first response and Pauli seconded it, and the minutes were approved with no objections. Visitor comments: will be addressed in District Business section. Bob Springer welcomed our new Council Liaison, Toni Hunt, and briefed her on the Alma/Big Bend landscape project, the Sneed/Hill property landscape project as well as the painting work completed in July on the RR station building. Bob also briefed Toni on the Board’s 4th of July celebration crowd/security concerns, and the letter he wrote & Kay’s letter on behalf of the Crossroads Board. Pauli said that Kay’s letter is wonderful, and should be distributed to the Lions Club & Parade Committee. It was also asked if there needs to be two nights of fireworks. Update on Alma/Big Bend Corner: Bob Springer has met with Helmut Starr, and the necessary long-term lease and easement is 99% complete. The paperwork should be completed by the end of August, and Bob will coordinate with the apartment’s owner, Job. The City’s signature is needed to finalize the agreements. July4th Crowd/Safety Concerns: Bob Springer asked Roger how Council feels about his letter. Roger said there was a thoughtful discussion, but right now Council doesn’t know what to do about the concerns raised. Pauli suggested a SPECIAL EVENTS COMMITTEE to address the problem. Bob Springer suggested we take “baby steps” with our 4th of July concerns. Roger said the Parks Dept. has a committee for events coordination. Bob Springer suggested we get our comments/concerns in earlier so they can be addressed in a timely manner. Mike Offerman is the contact person in Parks Dept. Jeff Sanders said he would like to be a Board rep to convey our concerns. He also asked Bob Springer to join him. The Board decided that Kay’s letter as written should be submitted, and all Board members present signed it. District Projects: Advances/Reimbursements & Personal Time: Roger reviewed what invoices have been turned in for payment: work for the Big Bend RR Club. No invoice has been received for the Hirschfelt’s matching grant. Finance Director, Joan Jadali, is composing a manual with reimbursement guidelines for work done. This manual will be for all three taxing districts. Roger shared some of the guidelines: Any contract for $7,500 or greater needs a Council resolution, telephone bids for $500 or greater must be documented and bids $1500 or greater must be written with a set of specifications clearly stated. The question was asked: “Can Board members be reimbursed”? It’s a tough issue. Volunteer/personal hours spent on work should be documented. John believes Board members should not be paid. However, projects may not get done due to a lack of volunteers who are more difficult to find than it used to be. Bob Springer acknowledged mistakes were made relative to the statute; John added that a reimbursement policy must be in place to be in accordance with the statute. We must get control of our fiscal management procedures, or the City could shut us down. Bob asked Richard to make sure the fiscal narratives from Joan Jadali are an agenda item for September’s Board meeting. RR Building Update: Ken said that the door painting is almost done; it’s been slowed by the recent hot weather. The NARF turned down the $42,000 grant request for a new roof because the RR Club has too little community involvement and it’s too small an operation. A $10,000 grant has been applied for from another source with a February 2011 announcement date. The Ameren Foundation also offers grants of $5,000 to $10,000 for electrical work, and has an open submissions period. John suggested looking into tax credits which could produce another $5,000-$10,000 (i.e., citing the energy efficiency of the new roof). Ken said the Model RR Assn. suggests standardizing all model RR equipment train scales to heighten interest in the hobby. Setting up RR displays in one or possibly two District business windows for Christmas could help promote the RR station. It was asked if the Christmas Train could make a stop in Webster Groves. To do so, money would have to be in place; the local Chamber of Commerce drives this event. Hill/Sneed Property Landscape & Concrete Work: Bob Goetz reviewed landscape drawings for green space at 8740 & 8744 Big Bend Blvd. which features two lawns. He has a bid from Baxter Gardens of $493.08 for three juniper trees to be planted in front of the building wall. Bob also revealed three bids for the sidewalk/concrete work (includes removing front walk and installing backfill and replacing sod). The public portion of the sidewalk is not part of the project. The three bids are: A-Haul $9,859, Rescom $7,309 and Mullen $3,990. Bob assured the Board these are three reputable companies, and that Mullen’s is much lower than the other two to keep their personnel working in the down economy. Bob Goetz also recommended altering the walk in front of Ralf’s business to eliminate rain water running into the building. John asked if the salon next door to Ralf would want to change its awning to a similar look. If so, they’re eligible for a beautification grant. In fact, John said three separate grants could be applied for: one for the salon, one for Ralf’s building and one for the tenant sign. Ralf Broughton passed out his new lawn and signage drawing. The signage proposal must be approved by the ARB. The signage is removable based on tenants moving in or moving out. Ralf said that Bob Hill will study the drawings as he may want to extend the color scheme. All signs will be placed on one column with eastbound and westbound Big Bend visibility. The cost for this column sign arrangement is $1,200. A motion was offered by Bob Springer to present our signage and landscape design to the ARB. Pat gave first approval and Jeff seconded it with no objections. Input from the ARB will be helpful, and if they approve our project, we’ll move on with our plans. Bob Springer said that Ed Sneed is flexible on the long-term license agreement and easement. Bob has yet to address Helmut Starr about it. Ralf mentioned the crumbling curb outside his business which is a St Louis County Highways matter. Linda asked who would take down the big Sneed Overhead Door sign. Roger said that one question which still needs to be answered is what type of public control is needed for using tax money on private property. Having a bench on the property for public use would help. Christmas Committee: Julie Campbell is an ideal choice to serve on the committee which includes Old Orchard and Old Webster Districts. Bob Springer will send Julie an e-mail officially asking her if she’s willing to serve. Pauli added that our District needs to be aggressively advertised to let the public know what’s in our District.  Agenda items for September 21, 2010 meeting: Alma/Big Bend corner update, July 4th crowd/safety concerns (Bob’s Council & Kay’s Board letter to Council), Joan’s fiscal rules narrative regarding bids, advances, reimbursements and personal time, RR building update, Hill/Sneed property project, Christmas Committee, extra pay for extra work performed by Richard.  The meeting was adjourned at 10:10 a.m.