View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Crossroads Special Taxing District

 

MINUTES

 

 

 

Meeting Date:                            

    Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Meeting Called to Order:

 8:40 A.M.

Meeting Adjourned:

9:47 A.M.

Next Meeting Date:

 Tuesday, July 21, 2009

 

 

 

 

 

ROLL CALL

 

Name

 

 

Lisa Abeln

Present

 

Patricia Boever

Present

 

 

 

 

Pauli Goetz

Present

 

Jeff Sanders

 

Absent

John Lark

 

Absent

 

Jim Onder

Present

 

Kay Ramsey

 

Absent

Bob Springer

Present

 

 

 

 

David Ziolkowski-HOK

Present

 

Kathy Hart, Council Liaison

 

Absent

Roger Grow, Dir. of Planning/Development- Staff Liaison

Present

 

Kathy Kinderfather-Residential Liaison

Present

            

Ken Rimmel

 

Present

 

Richard Scholl

Present

 

Bob Goetz

Present

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 DATE: May 19, 2009

 

ITEMS DISCUSSED

 

1. Approval of minutes from March 17, 2009 meeting. A motion was offered and seconded for approval.

     2. Visitor comments. David Ziolkowski (head of intern program at HOK) was introduced by   Lisa. David explained how he and his interns could help our District with building beautification ideas. His interns are a talented, diverse group who would benefit from the experience of “hands-on” project experience. The interns' specialties range from lighting design to landscape. David also outlined a 2-month summer plan which would include a series of meetings every 2 weeks involving the interns and Crossroads Board to monitor the progress of the project. David proposed an initial site meeting with interns and Crossroad members around June 10 with a follow-up mtg. July 1st and a final meeting at the end of July. David said the key is to get the interns excited about the project. An added bonus for the Board is that the interns' work would be pro bono. Due to the economy there will be only 4 or 5 interns involved instead of the usual 10-15. David also stressed that no offense would be taken if the Board for whatever reason chose not to implement the interns' plans. The Board agreed that interns with no pre-conceived ideas would bring a fresh perspective to the project. After David left the meeting the Board continued discussing the intern proposal. Lisa said that assigning people and their strengths to beautify buildings is effective. Pauli expressed some reservations about accepting the proposal. Bob and Lisa praised Bob Goetz' experience and help, and would like him to be on the design committee.  They also explained that the fresh approach is another vital tool needed to go forward with the intern project. A motion was offered and approved to accept HOK's proposal. More Building Beautification Comments: Lisa also said that producing fresh ideas creates continuity and allows maintaining momentum created by previous placings of trash cans, benches, banners and flower pots. Jim added that it's fantastic that a national firm like HOK wants to evaluate Crossroads buildings for free. Railroad Station: Ken Rimmel said that a grant is being sought to install a metal surface roof. Lisa asked Ken about how much beautification could be done to the building and land. Ken said there are limits because the RR club owns the building only while BNSF owns the land,and there's limited approval for plantings. Ken will get for the interns a copy of the BNSF land restrictions.

 

 

3. Tax rate modification:  Will be discussed @ July 21st meeting when the figures have been finalized on July 1.  Landscaping/watering plantings: Lisa met with Green Turf personnel  about watering the City lot plantings. There are two spots below the retaining wall in which to tap. Some parts replacement was also recommended. Two access keys would also be provided. Proposal of a curb to protect yews from damage by cars, similar to the Alma lot was discussed. Later Tuesday, Roger notified the District that next Wednesday Public Works will install a 2” wide concrete curb in the City lot. Lisa also pointed out that Greg Sercl's use of a weed whacker only is creating more weeds, and therefore inhibiting maintenance of planting areas. She suggested volunteers (perhaps Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts needing points) to weed, plant annuals and add color. If we don't use volunteers a person could be paid to do this. Lisa said that Betty Roberts would be a good organizer to coordinate this task. Bob Goetz addressed landscaping ideas on Bob Springer's property. The HOK interns could implement Bob Goetz' plan which could include a paved area with benches around it. Due to high costs of a watering system on the Alma lot, Missouri natives (which require minimum maintenance and no watering) was once again suggested.  Bob Goetz also said that now is the time to plant perennials. 4th of July Security: Bob Springer spoke to the WGPD, and due to manpower limits, all that can be provided is drive-by patrols.  It was asked if we should hire off-duty police officers  during the prime threat time of 7p-11p (3 nights) when speeding cars and roof climbers would be threats. Roger will find out if any off-duty officers are available The WGPD will advise who to use if none of their officers is available. A motion was offered and approved for hiring two off-duty officers at the going rate for three nights from 7p-11p. Banners and flower pots: Banner brackets need to turned right side up. Lisa said the pots on the corners look stupendous. She and John will meet with Greg Sercl about eliminating pots that don't look as attractive. Trash concerns: Kathy Kinderfather reiterated the need for trash cans to be emptied on a regular basis. Although it's not as bad as it used to be, trash from Schnucks is still blowing across Big Bend and old newspapers continue to pile up. Pauli's articles about Crossroads District: Due to time constraints Pauli has not been able to write. Lisa, Jim and Pat offered their writing assistance. Lisa suggested that Pauli write down some ideas even during meetings. Jim said he could take one paragraph and expound upon our previously discussed plans for the District.

 4. Agenda items for May 19, 2009: Tax rate modification, HOK intern update, landscape update, banner/trash report, Alma apartment maintenance update, getting Board to 7 members, Pauli's articles about Crossroads District. The meeting was adjourned at 9:47 a.m.